Winter Wise Protection
Is your home winter wise? Protect your home from the ravages of winter.
Michigan winter can bring burst pipes, leaky roofs and costly structural damage. Is your home at risk? Ice dams and frozen water pipes are the mail culprits.
- Keep gutters and downspouts clear of debris, snow, and ice to facilitate the flow of runoff. Use a roof rake to keep buildup to a minimum.
- Evaluate your attic’s insulation and ventilation. Use R-38 value insulation in northern climates. Vents promote airflow under eaves and soffits; a cool, dry attic in turn curbs the formation of ice dams.
Frozen Water Pipes
If you think turning the heat down low while you’re away will save money, think burst water pipes and thousands of dollars in repair and replacement costs.
- Insulate pipes susceptible to freezing.
- Shut off and drain water from the garden hose and pipes leading to outside faucets.
- Show everyone how to shut off the water in case pipes burst; when going away, drain and shut off the main water supply to your home or business.