On May 2, 1875, members of Pomona Grange No. 11 met in Raider’s Hall in the village of Newaygo to discuss their farming interests. Prominent farmer Louis Reinoldt voiced that insurance on farm property was difficult to obtain and the cost “more than was necessary.” He proposed they form their own farm fire insurance company and the rest is history. Patrons Mutual Fire Insurance Company was formed on June 23, 1876.
Michigan exclusive since 1876
Our success is a result of strong business ethics and practices including:
By 1932, Patrons Mutual was getting so many inquiries from farmers outside their territory that the charter was revised to cover the whole state of Michigan.
The name was changed to Fremont Mutual Fire Insurance Company to avert confusion, as there were seven other Patrons Mutual Companies in Michigan. The little local interest would quickly become one of the largest farm fire companies in Michigan.
Fremont Mutual was re-incorporated as a general mutual in 1952, to enable the company to write not only farm fire, but farm wind, dwellings, and commercial properties insurance.
On August 25, 2003, the Insurance Company’s board of directors unanimously adopted the plan of conversion.
Under this plan, which was completed on October 15, 2004, the Insurance Company converted from a mutual to a Michigan stock insurance company. The Insurance Company changed its name to Fremont Insurance Company
On August 1, 2011 the Auto Club Insurance Association, a Dearborn, Michigan-based insurer (ACIA), announced it has acquired Fremont Insurance Company through a merger transaction with its parent company, Fremont Michigan InsuraCorp, Inc.
In recent years the company has added Commercial products, Workers Compensation, Equipment Breakdown, Cyber Liability and Employment Practices Liability, Marine, Personal Auto and Umbrellas while overhauling existing products.