How secure is your vehicle? A few minutes, a few dollars go a long way.
A motor vehicle is stolen every 28.8 seconds in the US. The price tag is 7.5 billion!
The national Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) reports that Michigan ranks 5th – with more than 50,000 vehicle thefts each year – after California, Texas, Florida, and Arizona.
Practice these safety measures and reduce your risk
- Don’t leave your car unlocked while unattended.
- Never leave your car running while unattended.
- Fully close all windows. Don’t leave even a crack open.
- Don’t leave a spare key in or on your vehicle.
- Don’t leave valuables in your vehicle. If you must, hide them in the trunk or under seats.
- Park in well-lit, public areas.
- Trust your instincts; if it doesn’t feel safe, park elsewhere.
- A visible anti-theft device is an effective deterrent.
- Audible alarms help scare thieves off.
- Vehicle immobilizer systems render hot-wiring useless.
- GPS tracking systems speed recovery of stolen vehicles.